Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thoughts on Transition Periods

My exercise programming is currently in fartlek mode, which I think is an old Norse word meaning "do what you feel like." I just finished up two cycles of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 Program at Get Built Chattanooga CrossFit. It's a different kind of max strength training program, which seems to fit very well with CrossFit-style programming. In a week I'll be travelling for about two weeks without access to a gym, so this week isn't going to build into any kind of new strength cycle. What to do?

This is a perfect opportunity for a transition week. Instead of just jumping from one hard training cycle to the next or loafing around drinking beer for a week, I'm going to play! Over the past year I've been getting more interested in the two olympic lifts: the snatch and clean & jerk. This week I'm going to try out one week of an olympic lift oriented training plan that the 70's Big guys at Wichita Falls Athletic Club have used. I'm not evaluating the whole plan or expecting it to work magic in a week. I'm doing it 'cause it looks fun - I get to spend two days on just the olympic lifts, plus I still get to squat and deadlift. Where's the down-side in that?

In any case, I think it's important for an aspect of one's training to be fun. Sure, it's important to put in the hard work to get stronger and build charachter, but the part of working out that continually motivates me is the chance to learn something new. With the olympic lifts I'm going to be learning for a long time to come. I've signed up for my first weightlifting meet in Atlanta on March 20th; a great opportunity to try my best and watch some experts. I'll let you know how it goes.

Stay safe, lift heavy, and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment